Rice - 1cup
Tamarind - 1 lemon size ball, soaked and take the pulp
Mustard Seeds - 1tsp
Urad dal - 1tsp
Chana dal - 2tsp
Groundnuts - as per taste, i took 1tbsp
Cashews - as per taste
Turmeric powder - 1tsp
Green CHillis - 4
Red Chillis - 3
Ginger - 1inch piece
Oil - 3tsp
Curry leaves - 1stem
Hing/ Asafoetida- pinch
- First cook rice with some turmeric and 1tsp oil in it. Now take it in a bowl and Let it cool for half an hour so that the grains are not sticked together.
- Now heat oil in a pan , add mustard seeds and when they strt spluttering add urad dal, chana dal, ground nuts, cashews ,red chillis and when ground nuts and cashews turn light brown (make sure that they are not blackened) add some hing, salt, green chillis, ginger and saute for a minute.
- Then add the tamarind paste and let it cook for 5 mins.
- When it gets thickened and oil comes out of the sides switch of the flame and take aside.
- When it is little warmer add this to the rice and mix well. (We can prepare this paste and store in refrigerator and mix it when we need to prepare pulihora anytime with ease)
- Adjust salt if needed and serve with any veggie curry or dal.
1. If tamarind is a bit less then you can substitute it with some lemon juice too.
2. This rice will be good for 2 to 3 days without storing it in fridge. So this is best for packing during travel time too.