|Guthi Vankai with Gasagasa paste|
Ingredients:Black Vankayalu/Brinjal - 8 small size preferably - make slits + shape and keep them in water
Poppy seeds/ Gasagasalu - 3tbsp
Groundnut - 12
Oil - 2tbsp
Onion - 1 small
Mustard seeds - 1tsp
Tamarind - small lemon size juice squeezed
Bellam - small piece for taste, (optional)
Chilli powder - 2tsp
Turmeric - pinch
Dhaniya powder - 1tsp
Jeera Powder - 1tsp
GGP/Ginger GArlic Paste - 2tsp
Salt to taste
For Gasagasa Paste:
- Dry roast poppy seeds and ground nuts in a pan separately
- Firstly add poppy seeds in a blender and make it a powder and then add the groundnut into it and make it a fine paste, keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and drop the slit whole brinjal and fry them on all sides till they turn the color to brown/black and keep aside.
- In the same pan add the remaining oil, add mustard seeds, jeera, and onions, fry for a few mins and then add GGP, chilli powder, turmeric, dhaniya, jeera powder, and fry for 3 mins.
- Take tamarind juice in two cups of water and add to the above mix. When it is starting to boil add the gasagasa paste and mix well for 4-5 mins.
- Adjust the salt and chilli powder as per taste. Drop the fried brinjal/vankayalu into it and keep the lid.
- Cook it for around 25-30mins till the gravy turns into thick gravy or as per consistency needed.
- Serve it with rice or chapatis.