Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Vamu Charu...

Today morning when i woke up , my hubby is suffering from cold and cough. So i was thinking what can i make for lunch which can give him some relief. I asked him what he would like to eat for lunch and he suggested me to do something good for his throat. Then i remember my mom use to make Vamu charu in my childhood when we use to get cough. So i called up my mom and asked her the procedure she told me many things about Vamu. It is very popular in most of the South Indian dishes. Vamu in telugu, Ajwain in Hindi, Omam In Tamil, Oma in Kannada and Tymol Seeds in English Vamu is supposed to have many medicinal values associated with it. I remember as a child when my mom used to give some to swallow when I had cough and I would love the flavor of it in most of the hot items(chekkalu,janthikalu) that she used to make. So i prepared one out of it i.e.,Vamu Charu. It came out very well and my hubby enjoyed it too. So i just wanted to share that recipe with you all. Hope you enjoy it too...:)


Ingredients:-


Vamu - 3 tsp
Jeera - 1 tsp
Tamarind - small lemon size
Red Chillis - 2
Dhaniya - 1/2 tsp
Curry leaves
mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
Garlic - 3 cloves
Turmeric - pinch
Salt to taste

Procedure:-

  • Soak tamarind in 2 cups of water for hal an hour and take the pulp out of it and keep aside

  • Heat pan and dry roast vamu, jeera, red chillis, dhaniya and grind it into a powder and kept aside

  • Now in the same pan add 1tsp oil and to it add jeera, garlic cloves, curry leaves and fry

  • Add the tamarind juice, coriander, turmeric and let it boil

  • When it comes to boil add the above prepared powder,salt and switch off the flame after 1min and serve it with rice

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails