When any one talks about Andhra food, and that to specially non-vegetarians the first thing that comes into mind was thsi Gongura Mutton. I like dishes that are spicy and without it i feel that a non veggie dish is incomplete. So here is one of the authentic Andhra non-vegetarian dish Gongura Mutton. This is really a worth trying and mouth watering combination of making. We will never miss to make this dish when Gongura/Sorrel leaves is into the markets. This is really very delectable and mouth-watering dish.
Mutton - 2lbs (along with the bones)
Gongura/ Sorrel leaves - 1 Bunch
Onions - 1
Chillis - 6
Chilli powder - 3tsp
Turmeric - 1/2 tsp
Oil - 2tsp
Ginger Garlic paste - 1tsp
Tomatoes - 1/2
Salt to taste
Garam Masala :
Cloves - 5
Elaichi/ Cardamom - 4
Cinnamon/ Dalchina Chekka - 1inch stick
Biryani Leaf/ Bay leaf - 2
- Clean mutton and to it add chilli powder, salt, turmeric and mix well and keep it aside for 1/2 hr.
- Now in a pressure cooker add oil and to it add the the garam masala items and then add onions, chillis and GGP and fry for sometime till they are soft.
- Now add the tomatoes and saute it for sometime, then add the marinated mutton pieces and fry it for some time till all the water that comes out of it evaporates.
- Then add 2glasses of water and salt to taste and add the gongura, then keep the lid and cook it for 5 whistles.
- When the pressure goes just take the lid and check fr softness and whether the mutton is fully cooked or not. Now its time to serve it with any dish. Rice, chapati, Biryani, Naan.....The list goes on...