Mutton Biryani is a delicious rice-made dish which is most popular among the Muslims and non-Muslims in India. Dont know how they prepare it but it tastes good only when Muslims made it. I always wonder that people make chicken biryani very often at home but when it comes to mutton biryani they prefer going to some hotel and have it. So this is what we too do when we really very much tempted to eat mutton biryani.
But one day when i went to my friends place we had mutton biryani and believe me that i felt it is bought from some hotel. So i asked her the recipe and i dont know whether it is the exact proceudre where Muslims do it but the taste is somewhat nearer. And here im preparing the mutton and rice separately and then mixing them together and cook it further for the final biryani. And thanks to my friend for a wonderful recipe. So please try it at home and enjoy the relished and exquisite taste of this delicious dish.
4 to 5 cups basmati rice
1 to 2 lb Mutton
2 onions (Coarsely grind-shouldnt be a paste - u should still see the flakes)
1 1/2 tomato
10 slit green chillies
2 tsp chilli powder
2 tsp garam masala
small inch Cinnamon (Dhalchina)
2-3 Biryani leaves
Few Curry leaves
Chilly powder - 1 to 2 spoons (based on ur taste)
3 tbsp Ginger garlic paste
Salt to taste
- In the pressure cooker add required oil, add half of ground onion, half of slit green chillies, fry till golden brown, then add 1tbsp of ginger garlic paste and fry for 2 mins, then add the chilly powder and 1/2 tsp garam masala and fry for sometime. Now add half of chopped tomatoes and when they are little soft add curry leaves, coriander leaves,required salt and when fried add the mutton to it(if possible add some turmeric salt and chilli powder to it and keep mutton for 15 mins for better taste) and let it cook.
- Water comes out from it and after sometime when the water is evaporating then add 1/2 cup water and let it cook(it takes around 15 to 30 mins to cook depending on the tenderness of the mutton pieces)
- Meanwhlie in the separate bowl (take a big pan where you want actual biryani to be prepared). I used the 10litre cooker.
- Now to this add required oil and two teaspoon ghee, add cloves, cinnamon, biryani leaf, remaining ground onion,slit green chillies and fry till golden brown.
- Then add ginger garlic paste,curry leaves fry for 2 mins, add 1/2 tsp garam masala, chopped tomatoes and saute a little and add coriander leaves and chopped pudhina,required salt.
- Add required water (calculate since u might get water from the mutton mixture) and allow it to boil. Once it comes to boil, add the rice.
- Once rice is half cooked, add the mutton mixture and close the lid of the cooker. Cook it in low flame. Dont put the whistle on(it may take around half an hour depending on how much rice you are cooking) and when you feel it is done take switch off the stove and serve it with raitha.