Would you like to try a great tasty anchovy recipe? Then you came to a right place.
The sundried anchovy fish curry is one of the basic dish, usually eaten with a bowl of rice. This is really low calorie and high calcium so best preferred if used in our dishes too.
Frankly telling i dont eat this fish but my hubby likes it a lot and after his childhood he never ate that itseems. He use to tell me so many times that he misses his mom's recipes and here there is no oppurtunity to taste that recipes too. One among them is this Anchovies curry. But may be my fate is good that suddenly one fine day these fishes has come into my sight in some chinese store. Then i saw those fishes and felt it to be these nethallu but i dont know the name of Nethallu is anchovies.. ;)Then searched it in google and came to know that nethallu is anchovies in english and came back to the store and purchased at last.
Nethhallu or anchovis is famous in India and is available in any market place there.. My mom always prepared it at home and everyone goes crazy for this dish too... but then im not very much interested about it but when i came to know that its my hubby's fav too then i started searching it. When i first got this in US then you can see my excitement... Its just because that i must make something that makes him feel home and remember his childhood days..So that i can get all that credit...;) . So finally my dish came out real good with two to three trails of experimenting and my efforts are fully fulfilled...:) An incredible anchovy curry gets its real taste from the fish actually. So get the right one.
I will let you know the precautions to be taken in preparing this at the end of the post....if i say it now you may skip the recipe too... ;) Beware !!!!!
Anchovies/ Nethallu - 1 cup
Onions- half onion, finely chopped
Green Chillis - 3
Red Pepper With shrimp paste - 2 tsp
Oil - 2tsp
Turmeric - 1/2 tsp
Chillis powder - 1tsp
Lemon - 1/2 (for decoration and serving)
Pinch of salt
- Remove the heads of the fish, clean fish in water and keep it aside.
- Add chilli powder. turmeric and little salt, mix well and keep aside.
- Now heat oil in a pan and add chopped onions, chillis and fry til they are brown color.
- Add the red pepper shrimp paste to it and mix well (make sure yoou dont fry it more else it will blacken fast).
- Immediately add the fish and fry it for 4mins and add 1/2cup water and kep the lid.
- Within 5 mins gravy thickens and the fish becomes soft too. Switch of the flame and serve it.
- Can be served along with onions and lemon with rice.
Precautions to be taken :
These are just my experiences and i just dont want you people to curse me after you prepare the dish. So im just mentioning those tooo
- While cooking please make sure the doors and windows are open else that smell will stay in the room for long time.
- Generally at home we prefer very spicy so i gave the measurements accordingly.. If you feel that it is more then you can change the measurements as per your taste.
- If you are trying this dry fish for the first time then i think you may not like it. If you are used to from childhood eating any type of dry fish or a fan for non veg then you can happily try this for sure.
- One more important thing is dont get worry if you are not having that paste its just in my trail method i added that for additional taste but without that too it tastes good but need to add one more tsp chilli powder if you are skipping that paste. But suggested is if you add that it will give extra flavour to the dish.
- Now after all this long discussion dont scold me that why did i post this recipe if its not good to everyone(Im talking about point 1 ). Its just because i can surely say that many people love this and will enjoy it too... So for those non veg food lovers here is spicy yummyyyy dish... ;)